[r-t] 23-spliced TB major

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Mon May 10 11:30:19 UTC 2010

Leigh Simpson wrote:

> Although clearly you've got more experience with this kind of thing, I'd
> have thought that would make things harder. If you learn each method
> individually then you gain from knowing more of the structure of the method
> and how the place bells relate to each other,

I think the point both of you (Percy and Leigh) are missing
is that if you ring 23 spliced you ring each lead of each
method.  In Tony Peake's spliced plain cinques you ring a
very small number of leads of the method.

If you're learning all of the leads, or even most of them,
learning the structure is clearly of benefit.  But if you
only need to know one lead (or a small fraction of the
total) and know in advance which one(s) it will be, it's
probably simpler to just learn the line.

RAS