[r-t] 5042 Cambridge Maximus - avoiding a dodgy wrong finish

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Apr 27 13:26:27 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Alan Reading
<alan.reading at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Also if you are going to ring Cambridge you might aswell do the best you can
> within the obvious musical limitations.

Maybe, maybe not. There are other goals that may be more sensible,
depending upon band, tower and occasion.

An inexperienced band may be working hard to learn to strike
Cambridge Max, and may not yet be strong enough to do justice to
oodles of little bell rollups. They may be better served, and helped
to ring better, by the stability of the 6 in 6ths as much as possible,
in which case the usual snap finish at a single Wrong works well.

And at least once I've been asked to produce a composition of
Cambridge Max for a particular occasion where, despite it being rung
by a strong band, I was told not to bother with little bell rollups.
The conductor believed they did not work well on the bells on which
the peal was being rung, and asked for other features instead, which
he thought would sound better on those bells.

"It is no more sensible to complain that philosophy is no longer
capable of solving practical problems than it is to complain that
the study of the stars no longer enables one to predict the course
of world events."       -- Paul Grice, _Studies in the Way of Words_