[r-t] Definition of a call

Robert Bennett rbennett at woosh.co.nz
Wed Jun 8 09:05:57 UTC 2011

Method (b) is an unusual way of making a call, but could be quite handy.
Has this type of call be used much?

There is a 720 of Bob Minor (I think in the Clavis and composed by John
Holt) which has no singles, the treble dodging once 56 up once in 56 down
and making 4ths once. Could this be fitted in as a method (b) scheme?

Spliced Plain Bob, Gainsborough LB and Little Bob Major could be rung as
Plain Bob with Method (b) calls.

I suppose that it comes down to how you call it and how you learn it.

 On Wed 08/06/11 10:17 AM , "Graham John" graham at changeringing.co.uk sent:

The definition of a call was changed at the CC meeting on 30 May 2011,
following a request at the previous year's meeting to accommodate the
variable treble Grandsire Triples rung at St Chad's, Birmingham on 24 Nov,
2009 (RW 2010, p217).

The decision has been changed as follows:-

(E)A.2

A _call_  is a means of passing from one course of a method to another.
It is not part of the definition of the method. A call may be effected in
one of the following ways:

(a) by altering the places made between two or more consecutive rows
without altering the length of a lead;

(b) by omitting consecutive changes, altering the length of a lead.

I read this as saying that a call is either (a) OR (b). However the peal
in question had a 34567 single at the same time as changing the hunt bell,
which it does not seem to cover properly as it is (a) AND (b). Perhaps it
would have been better phrased if the words "one of" had been left out.

I also feel it was an opportunity missed not to change "course" in the
first sentence to "lead" or "row" to solve the problem described at the
link below.

 ringing-theory mailing list