[r-t] ringing the Mathieu group

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Sun May 22 20:43:09 UTC 2011

Hi Colin,

Thanks for these interesting suggestions!  This was just the sort of thing
I was hoping to provoke...

Regarding, e.g. suggestion 1 for the caters extent: what makes you so
confident this can be done?  (I think I share this confidence, but I'm not
sure how to justify it).  Certainly there are "plenty of Q-sets" (only a
few are missing, arising from the "magic block"), and there is no
(obvious) parity barrier.  But why does this imply that it is possible to
join everything to one block?  A general argument (rigorous or heuristic)
would be much more interesting than just checking it by giving an example
in this particular case.  Ditto for the second caters suggestion...

I think the call you mention for the Mathieu group (125T in place of 18ET)
actually gives Q-sets linking 4 courses, not 8 (alternating these two pns
amounts to two lots of plain hunt on 4).  In any case, no parity barrier,
as you say.  Again, the question is: how can we tell whether it is
possible, other than a very tedious verification?

In both cases, another natural approach is the usual subgroup-based
"composition of peals in parts" method.  Given the large size of the
problem, it mighjt be helpful to do this in several "levels", starting
with a subgroup of a subgroup.  This might even yield methods that someone
would consider ringing(!)  Any ideas for a specific plan in this
direction, anyone?

Ander