[r-t] Auryn

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Fri Dec 7 01:30:46 UTC 2012

Hi Robin,

Of course you are right that the second 34-section has the opposite parity
to the first one, otherwise there would be no hope of a bobs-only 720.
(By "34 section" I meant the first one).

Mike Ovenden's June 05 posting is indeed somewhat relevant here, but to my
mind does not resolve the issue.

Mike's approach is concerned with determining whether there is a true set
of leads (or half leads) that give the extent.  In the case of Auryn that
is trivially the case, because of the original interpretation in terms of
the mirror-symmetric group: two leads of Auryn is half of this group (and
a subgroup of index 2), one lead is a quarter.  Your observation below is
a manifestation of this.

However this does not explain why the standard calling works.  I repeat my
challenge: are there any other TD methods with this property (standard
calling true but no 6 mutually true courses).

Ander