[r-t] Comps

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Thu Jun 20 06:50:35 UTC 2013

Hi All,

David Sullivan said "Tell me about it. Yesterday I rang a peal of Stedman
Cinques. It was as though there had been no innovation for 100 years (6, 19,
19...). Surely we can do better than that nowadays."

I am surprised no-one made the two obvious rejoinders. I've got around to
making them.

The following have ocurred to me:

i) It is far easier to call your own comp. than someone else's - since you
know how it was constructed, etc.

ii) The comp. referred to is on p67 of the CC collection. Above it is what
one might call a 'modern' comp. which, whatever its merits, is a test of the
conductor's memory. I distrust memory tests!

iii) Being the 'back of an envelope' devotee, how far is it worth going to
change the 'look' of the composition for additional bits of music?

Best wishes
Robin