[r-t] Shipway Minor

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Thu Jun 12 05:11:07 UTC 2014

In the unlikely event that anyone is not deriving sufficent excitement
from the current lively discussion on CC decisions, here is a little
diversion.

Shipway is a natural even-bell variant of Stedman, consisting of alternate
quick and slow "eights", i.e. forward and reverse hunting on the front 4
with dodging behind.  3rds is made at the eight end, resulting in a
principle on every even stage.

Despite the elegance and simplicity of the method, it seems to be rather
awkward to get an extent of the minor stage.  This may partly explain why
minor was apparently not named until 1993 (with a pretty challenging
extent by Jonathan Deane, I believe), while major was pealed in 1840.

In particular, there seems to be a belief that it is impossible to get an
extent without "disrupting the front work".  If I remember correctly,
exactly this assertion was made in the RW when it was named in 1993.
(Perhaps someone with easy access to back issues could check this).

However, this belief turns out to be wrong!  I have recently found an
extent that does not disrupt the front work -- see below.  It uses 3
different types of calls, but they are the nicest 3 one could hope for:
Stedman Triples type bobs and singles, and a Stedman Doubles type single
in the middle of an eight (henceforth called an extreme).  Moreover, the
density of calls is not at all unreasonable (for a "problem method").

The extent has some quite strange properties.  The two extremes in the
part at first look like a Q-set, since they come in two "complementary"
eights, with the hunting order on the front and the bells in 56 reversed.
However, they aren't.  We leave an eight with an extreme, but rejoin it in
the same place at an eight-end (and vice versa).  Not really sure why this
works.

I'd be interested to see other extents.  In particular, the plain course
consists of 12 out of 15 eights of the group generated by the place
notations -,3,4.  Thus 6 true courses are very easily produced, but that
leaves out 6x3=18 eights to be added somehow.  Can this be done in any
reasonable way?

Ander

http://www.math.ubc.ca/~holroyd/comps/shi6.txt

720 Shipway Minor
Alexander E Holroyd

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0  123456
   -       s -X  -    234156
   -   s s -     s -  123546
-    X- s       -    231645
3 part

- = 34 at eight-end
s = 3456 at eight-end
X = 56 places in middle of (slow) eight

Start with rounds as the 5th row of a quick eight