[r-t] One Spliced Surprise Major

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 19:14:58 UTC 2014

Simon wrote:

> So I suppose that this is a peal of Cambridge.

Agreed.

> Of course, to ring it, you would need some way of
> announcing the "restarts". A convenient way of
> doing this would be to pretend that X is a different
> method and introduce some ad hoc name for it.

I don't see the need for that. The decisions now allow for the restarts to
be calls, so you would just say Snap Cambridge / Cambridge for the two
starts.

> Have there been any peals of spliced Grandsire
>  and New Grandsire?

I don't know, but saying New Grandsire / Grandsire for the two starts works
here too. Noting that like the previous case they are calls, not changes of
method.

If you were to ring Yorkshire Snap and Cambridge in Don's example, you would
have the additional difficulty of it not being covered by the definition of
"Spliced" in decision C.1. as you are not changing method at the leadend or
halflead.

Graham