[r-t] Me

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Mon Oct 27 21:19:26 UTC 2014

Robin Woolley writes,

> I have asked this question before, and I don't think I
 > have ever received an answer: why are people
 > desperate for 'compliance' for everything they do?

Well, I've sure I've answered this over and over again. It's the method
libraries, isn't it. They are the shared glossary of ringing. If you
ring a new method, you want it recorded in the libraries. Secondly, you
want it recorded in a sensible place - alongside methods it is similar
to. Thirdly, you want to be able to go to the libraries to see whether
something has been rung and named before.

People think it's all about "recognition" of peals, but actually it's
the method libraries we should be worrying about.

> If they are that exciting, why aren't they rung more?
 > In short, my view is, why go through all the trouble of
 > finding a separate category(ies) to put something in when
 > the thing proposed proves less than popular.

I'm not entirely sure why a method has to be "popular" to be worth
listing in the libraries in a sensible way.  But my favourite example of
successful innovation is the Differential. Would anyone have predicted,
after Upham and Double Helix were rung, that this new category of
methods would prove popular? But look how many there are now:

http://www.methods.org.uk/method-collections/differentials/dif4.txt
http://www.methods.org.uk/method-collections/differential-hunters/difh6.txt

Not only that, but the biggest growth area is Doubles and Minor. Who's
to say that this isn't where the big application for methods with more
hunt bells than working bells, or methods false in the plain course,
will be? Not in the black zone at all.

The Differentials provide a good example in another way, too. Tony stuck
them in a category of their own, away from normal methods and
principles. But in fact this means that the natural extension of many
Surprise Major methods, and the contraction of many TD Maximus methods,
can't be rung to Royal since they break down into short courses - which
Tony insisted were "Differential Hunters", in his view a completely
different and presumably less worthy category of method. But that's daft
- all that's different is the length of the course, not the structure or
extensibility of the method.

This (originally the "Bristol 14 Little 16" debacle) was the first of
the many horrors which have been inflicted on the categorisation of
methods in the libraries. The rules have been grudgingly extended, but
always in a way which attempts to keep the innovations out of the main
categorisation of "proper" methods. We see the same again with methods
false in the plain course: not even methods, but "blocks". The result is
increasing lack of consistency and a bigger and bigger mess in the
database at the heart of method ringing - the method libraries.