[r-t] Handstroke-home Cyclic Maximus

Matt Dawson m.d.dawson.29 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 10:12:20 UTC 2016

On 18 August 2016 at 15:41, Alan Reading <alan.reading at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Matt writes,
>> are you just suggesting that a lot of advanced
>> higher-numbers ringers are sufficiently narrow-minded to turn their
>> noses up at Grandsire Max?
>
> Not exactly. I've included Plain Bob in a cyclic peal myself:
> http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/comp.php?id=1976426 because it worked well and
> for some of the reasons described. It also makes an appearance in Pipe's
> particles.
> I would argue that Grandsire Max is a bit more messy than Plain Bob though
> with having 4 blows behind. And probably a bit more difficult to ring too.

Let's be clear - I wasn't including you in that comment. However, I
think you've illustrated my point very well for me by suggesting that
a problem with the Grandsire is difficulty when one of the
compositions also contains Deimos and Neptune.

On 18 August 2016 at 15:33, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> this is exactly the kind of debate I was hoping to provoke!

Except you haven't, have you? Nobody else has replied because they're
unwilling to admit to what is essentially an irrational dislike of
something (or they've taken one look at your composition, thought
"that's fine but it has Grandsire Max in it so I'm not interested" and
ignored the rest of the thread). That's fair enough - if you start
challenging people like that then they'll either ignore you or get
defensive, and I know it's all down to personal preference anyway, but
I do get annoyed when perfectly good ideas are stamped on like that.

matt