[r-t] Unclassified

Simon Humphrey sh53246 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 07:59:15 UTC 2016

The Matlock peal was in 1985, before the rule change.  The extra bell there is (almost) the same not as the 6th of the 8, and the composition was deliberately designed to exploit this feature.  IIRC it had all the 656 and 566 rollups, and is the only peal I've rung on six or more with rounds at the halfway point.  Which were perfectly good reasons for ringing the peal, and very entertaining.

SH

Robin Woolley:

1986
Selston, Notts. - 27 January, Plain Bob Triples (Non-Association); 20 June, St. Simon’s Triples (Non-Association); 23 August, Plain Bob Triples (Cambridge UG) - all rung on seven bells. ... there were only seven bells in the tower the ring being then in the course >of augmentation from six to eight. The Council has in the past decided to accept peals rung on odd numbers of bells in similar circumstances, most recently at Accrington and Broughton-in-Furness. Accordingly we recommend that under Decision (D)E, having regard to the local circumstances, the above three peals be accepted for inclusion in the Analysis.

Matlock, Derbyshire - 17 August, Plain Bob Caters (Derby DA) - rung on nine bells. Decision (D) B.5 states that peals of Caters shall be rung on ten bells with tenor as cover. The nine bells at Matlock consist of a ring of eight and one extra bell, hung for ringing, which does not form part of the ring. The tower is not generally recognised as a nine-bell tower. We recommend that the peal be not accepted. (A reason why not!)