[r-t] Meson and Strange

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun May 1 14:18:35 UTC 2016

In the Central Council method collection there is normally just one RW
reference given for a method, the peal in which the method was first rung.
But in the page with the non-method blocks,
http://www.methods.org.uk/method-collections/blocks/blk5.txt, there are two
RW references for Meson and Strange, the first peal in which each appeared,
and then a subsequent peal in 2015. Any idea why?

Also, I'm surprised at the names recorded. The bands that have rung these
have, to the best of my knowledge, always submitted them as Strange
Differential Maximus and Meson Differential Little Hybrid Maximus. As the
Council insists on tacking the word "Block" on, I'd have expected these to
become Strange Differential Block Maximus and Meson Differential Little
Hybrid Block Maximus, rather than just Strange Block Maximus and Meson
Block Maximus. Were these shorter names chosen in consultation with the
band, or were they a unilateral decision by the Council?

"Einstein argued that there must be simplified explanations of nature,
because God is not capricious or arbitrary. No such faith comforts the
software engineer."     -- Fred Brooks, "No Silver Bullet"