[r-t] CCCBR meeting

David Richards dadeece at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:30:35 UTC 2016

Hi Don,

On 31 May 2016 at 17:02, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:

> ​On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
> > It may be worth noting that there has been talk about pulling the
> > method collections out of proprietary-land for over a year, with the
> > claim that this is a top priority, and, as near as I can tell,
> > absolutely nothing has happened to make that a reality.
>
> Mea culpa this is not quite accurate. While last year's ICT committee
> report did indeed address this issue, my faulty recollection of it being a
> high priority appears to have been simply wishful thinking, as I can find
> no reference to it being a high priority. Probably something related to
> confirmation bias when consulting my own, poor memories. I'm sorry about
> that.
> ​​
> On balance, though, the basic problem remains: it was in the plans for
> 2016 and, as near as I can tell, nothing has happened, and, in fact, it
> seems to have been dropped entirely from this year's ICT committee report.

Thanks for the clarification.

I take responsibility for it not being mentioned in the ICT committee
guiding principles I've been trying to instill in the committee is not to
try to b&*llsh!t people [if you'll excuse the expression]. There has just
been year after year of suggesting that things are being done when in fact
no progress was being made at all. It won't surprise you to hear that there
was never any credible plan behind the item on the 2015 council papers
which said 'Work with Tony Smith to transfer Methods Committee archives to
CCCBR website'. It should also be noted that the item was intended to
specifically refer to the archives kept on methods.org.uk (i.e.
http://methods.org.uk/archive/) rather than the methods collection
themselves.  The item is still internally on our books, but I don't see it
being a priority this year and therefore it's not in the report. If we do
get through what's in our report then we'll certainly look at the
methods.org.uk archives.

Independently of that item from last year, we have approached Tony Smith
about transferring the methods collection to a CC-hosted resource. He isn't
opposed to it in principle, but I think it's fair to say that nothing
spontaneous will happen in that direction.

Obviously I am in support of a CC-controlled methods collection and will
help any project along in any way I can.

All the best,
Dave.