[r-t] Blocks to be renamed as methods

Alan Reading alan.reading at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 18 11:36:06 UTC 2017

Tony Cox wrote:

|Can anyone explain to me how a `method' or `block' can contain the place
notation xx when x is already recognised as a lead of Cross Differential
and so xx is a plain course of Cross Differential |and thus a method in its
own right. The so-called `Pudsey Block/Delight Minor' is simply spliced
Cross Differential and Morland Alliance and the other minor blocks already
are simply |splices/mixes of unrung alliance methods &-36-14-16-12-56,12
and &-36-14-16-14-16,12 with Cross Differential. The idea that a `method'
can contain complete plain courses of another method |embedded in it seems
completely wrong to me.

Isn't that really an argument against allowing methods that are false in
the plain course?
For any method that is false in the plain course you can always take the
notation describing all the rows between two instances of the same row and
call that a method in it's own right.
Ok that's only going to have nice properties like symmetry and being
divisible into more than one lead/section in special cases - the example
with cross differential being one of them - but it strikes me that if you
allow methods to be false in the plain course but start trying to legislate
against a method containing the plain course of another method things are
going to get very complicated again very quickly.

Cheers,
Alan