[r-t] Blocks to be renamed as methods

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Apr 20 11:58:47 UTC 2017

Richard Grimmett wrote:

> On 19/04/2017 17:31, Philip Earis wrote:
>> I rang in the inaugural peal of Cross Differential.
>
> Is it possible to have a single row method, say with a pn of 123456 in
> minor?

No, not at the moment.  First a method currently needs to
have a true plain course.  If the propose motion passes next
month to remove this requirement, I think Methods Committee
will still assert it is not possible.  This is because at
the moment the 123456 place notation is not a change
according to the Method Committee current interpret of
(E)A.1: "A change is ... effected by the interchange of
bells in adjacent positions in the row."  In truth, the
definition is ambiguous, and therefore not fit for purpose.
It neither clearly includes the null change, nor clearly
excludes it.

This is a good example of the sort of thing I think is
fundamentally wrong with the current decisions.  I have no
objection to someone saying they don't want to ring a peal
containing this change.  Nor I strenuously object to the
Central Council saying it won't recognise (sorry, include in
the Analysis) peals containing that change.  But that's not
what they're doing.  They're defining it not to be a change,
which it clearly is.  Yes, it's a very special change in
that no bells actually exchange places, but it's nonetheless
a change.

Mathematicians have no problem with this.  The identity
permutation is still considered a permutation despite not
actually permuting anything.  They do this because it's
frequently useful to talk about the effect of arbitrary
permutations including the identity one.  The same is true
in ringing.  It's sometimes useful to talk about sequences
of changes that may include the null change.  It's not the
Central Council's business to deprive ringers of the
vocabulary to describe methods involving the null change,
even if they do wish to discourage their use.

RAS