[r-t] Blocks to be renamed as methods

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Apr 20 21:07:43 UTC 2017

Iain Anderson wrote:

> Throw the obscure classifications away.  They are only there because
> historically we haven't liked the idea of having methods that have no
> classification.  So we have made up some artificial ones.

I agree.

Where things don't naturally fit into a class of the common
methods, they shouldn't be forced into one, nor should their
title be dictated by irrelevant or incidental properties of
the method.

The reason we typically include a class in the method is to
convey some useful information about it.  If you're asked
into a peal of an unfamiliar surprise major method, the fact
it is suffixed 'Surprise Major' puts considerable
constraints on how complicated it could be.  But this is
only useful when the class conveys useful information.  In a
lot of the recent advanced methods, the class conveys no
such helpful hints.  Does knowing Slinky is a Differential
Little Treble Place Maximus method help in ringing it?  I
don't think so.  This is even more the case with the quark
methods.

A secondary benefit is to give a few different namespaces so
that if your village name has already been used as the name
of a method that's beyond the capabilities of your local
band, there's still an option of naming another method after
the village and ringing that.

Personally I think many of the changes to method
classification in the last few decades have been rather
misguided.  The number of method classes has increased in
number, and the definitions of many have been relaxed. This
seemed necessary because peals had to be composed of
methods, and methods had to belong to one of the recognised
classes.  When non-method blocks were introduced, this was a
partial acceptance that these premises to be wrong.  A
non-method block is really just an unclassified method, and
had they been conceived in those terms, rather than
presenting them as second rate denizens of the method world
things would have been an awful lot better.

Let's tighten up the definitions of common classes so that
they actually mean what they're commonly assumed to mean,
and drop all obscure classes that convey no useful
information.  Anything else can be left unclassified: not a
non-method block, just a method that isn't currently further
classified.

Let's start by considering the five classes based on the
treble's path:

1.  Plain methods.  The current definition of what
consitutes a plain methods seems perfectly satisfactory.

2.  Treble dodging methods.  Virtually all have exactly one
dodge in each dodging position.  I don't think it's
particularly useful to classify Eryri or Double Darrowby as
treble dodging methods as they have little in common with
them.  They can be unclassified.

3.  Alliance methods should consist of just hunting and
dodging.  (I'm of two minds whether to go further and just
say single dodging, but probably not.)  Gluon should not be
an alliance method.

4.  Treble Place methods are fairly rare, and I don't have
strong opinions on what they should be.  Historically
they've usually been variants of treble-dodging methods, so
I'm inclined to require the treble makes two blows per half
lead in every position.  And broadly they should involve the
treble going from the front to the back once in a lead: i.e.
two leads of plain hunting should not count as a treble
place method.

5,  Hybrid methods should be abolished as a class.

The number of methods this will affect is small.  But where
methods are quite different from the established canon, they
are no longer classified as such.  It is only once new
styles of method become popular that they should be
classified.  In one particular respect, I share the view of
several of conservatives on the Methods Committee that far
too much time is spent trying to classify sui generis
performances.  But the solution is not to prohibit them as
they often advocate.  The solution is to allow them to be
rung, recognised in peals, named, and otherwise recorded in
the CC's analysis and methods collections, but not
necessarily to classify them.  And they certainly shouldn't
have some ridiculous tag like 'Block' at the end of their
name.

The tag 'Differential' should either be abolished, or it
should revert to its original meaning of co-prime cycles of
bells.  The tag 'Little' should only be required when the
method is otherwise classified, so Gluon (now unclassified
as it's no longer alliance) would be just Gluon Maximus, not
Gluon Little Maximus.

When a method is unclassified there should be no prohibition
from including a class name as part of the name, so if the
band who named an unclassified method think it ought to be
called, say, Something Alliance Major they can still call it
that, but 'Alliance' would formally be part of the name.
This means there's no requirement to rename any of the
methods which would become unclassified as a result of this,
though if the band who named them so wish, they should be
allowed to do so.  I for one would be in favour of all the
quark methods (i.e. those from the cyclic half of the
particles peals) being just named, e.g. Down Maximus,
without whatever farcial collection of classes du jour the
Methods Committee believe it should have.

The absence of a class name now doesn't mean the method is a
principle, but rather that it's an unclassified method.  For
the purpose of method naming, principles would also be
unclassified methods.  That's not to say it's not useful to
keep refering to them as principles, but there are lots of
useful ways of classifying methods that don't currently
appear in their names.  We classify methods by falseness
groups and their lead heads, but that doesn't appear in the
name either.  I don't see why principles should be any
different.

The various sub-classes of plain or treble-dodging methods
have a long history and well understood meanings.  I'd be
very happy to see Bob, Place, Slow Course, Treble Bob,
Delight and Surprise all kept with their current meanings,
saving that they only allow a single dodge by the treble.

That's not to say we couldn't improve these classes if we
tried.  I think many of you know that if it were down to me
personally, I'd tighten up Surprise to require places
immediately on either side of the treble when it passes
between dodging positions.  That would change nothing on six
bells, but would mean many Surprise Major methods were
reclassified as Delight, including Yorkshire, Lincolnshire,
Rutland, Pudsey and London, and a smaller number as Treble
Bob.  Such a definition means Surprise would correspond to
an readily observable property of the blue line, and would
force ringers to stop ignoring Delight and Treble Bob
methods.  Similarly, if it were down to me, I'd reintroduce
the old Court classification with a meaning the same as
Surprise, but when there is a plain-hunting treble path.
And I would have no problem if Slow Course got lost along
the way.  Nevertheless, I don't actually expect changes like
these to these well-established classes to happen.

RAS