[r-t] Pitman's 13440 change compositions

Alan Reading alan.reading at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:04:55 UTC 2017

Roddy - "I think Pitman worked out that you cannot join 60 courses together
with bobs only in full courses but of course in spliced you can ring bits
of courses and then join blocks in so that all of the tenors together lead
heads are rung but, as Eric Morecambe would say, not necessarily in the
right order.

So although Pitman has 20 courses in each part, they are not all seven
leads long.

In his 13440 he has some short courses and the missing leads are in the one
with 2 or 3 at W.

I haven’t written this out to prove my thinking but I must be close if not
spot on."

But there must also be something about those new leads that are introduced
in order that it stays true against the base course (RWTETWR).
You're effectively replacing the TWR with B plus a separate bW.
I'm guessing that the rows in those 3 new leads are either ones that would
have appeared in the missing 3 leads from base course or else they have
1,7&8 in a combination that doesn't occur in the base course.

Cheers,
Alan

13440 Spliced Surprise Major (6 methods)
A J Pitman RW 1961 p287

 23456    M  W  H   Methods
-----------------------------------
 52436       -      RWTETW/R
 64235    -     -   R/WTETWR/
 24536    -         R/WTETWR
 65432    -     -   R/WTEB/
 46532          -   RWTEB/
 53462       -  -   RWTETW/R/
 45362          -   RWTEB/
 34562       3  -   RWTETW/bW/bW/R/
 54632       2  -   RWTETW/bW/R/
 26435    -     -   R/WTEB/
 32465       -      RWTETW/R
 42635       2  -   RWTETW/bW/R/
 56234    -     -   R/WTEB/
 25634          -   RWTEB/
 63254       -  -   RWTETW/R/
 26354          -   RWTEB/
 32654       3  -   RWTETW/bW/bW/R/
 62534       2  -   RWTETW/bW/R/
 35426    -  -      R/WTETW/R
 42356       -  -   RWTETW/R/
3 part.

3840 Watford, 3168 Rutland, Wembley(T),
1920 Ealing, 672 Belvedere, Belgrave(b).