[r-t] Start from backstroke - A question from a novice in technical matters

James White mail.james.white at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 08:35:10 UTC 2018

I think the confusion is that there are two different types of start here:

Starting two rows into a treble dodging method: that is, rounds is at the backstroke snap and the treble misses out the 1-2 up dodge and goes straight up to 3-4.

Starting a row earlier in a method: that is, rounds is the handstroke and the first change is at backstroke, possibly with a call.  I have started a peal of Double Norwich Court Bob Major at backstroke with bells 6, 7 and 8 lying still (a single), and I have started Grandsire Triples and Caters at backstroke with bells 2 and 3 lying still (a Single).

In CompLib this is described as starting 16, 14 or 18 rows into the lead (of Plain Major, Triples and Caters) as you can’t start -1 rows in.

E.g. https://complib.org/composition/37670

James