[r-t] Triples puzzles

Richard Pullin grandsirerich at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 25 12:19:23 BST 2020

Many thanks for the kind words.

The 6.12 group structure came about simply by starting with a short lead
and then completing the circuit a course later with a long lead, the result
being a C_6 part end. But this also produced an even number of courses, so
it was theoretically possible to get the correct length with just the
normal q-sets of 3.

However I still had to use the bi-directional WHW type q-sets that you
describe, to sweep up the two remaining courses that couldn't be got with a
normal q-set (as far as I could tell.) As usual, I found this process of
writing out bits of the composition backwards to be torturous, stressful
and confusing!

I'm now working on the place notations 7,1,345 puzzle (significantly
harder) so it might be a while before I think of any nicer approaches for
this puzzle. Would you prefer a composition with fewer long/short leads, or
just a completely different approach such as a principle?