[Bell Historians] Anti-clockwise Rings

Andrew Aspland aaspland at y...
Thu Apr 11 17:11:17 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

OK - only one in Yorkshire. It was the Yks abbreviation which caught me out
when searching electronically.
Andrew
-----Original Message-----
From: David Bryant [mailto:djb122 at y...]
Sent: 09 April 2002 23:11
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Anti-clockwise Rings

Andrew Aspland wrote:

> Great list - some stats worth investigating here. First none in Yorks
or
> Lancs, second more low numbers of bells than average?, more unringable
than
> average? etc. etc.

What about Lowgate, Hull?

> I would disagree with the tuning details - it was always misleading to
refer
> to a peal of bells as 1-5 of an 8 since they weren't, aren't, and are
never
> likely to be an eight.

Agreed. Why can't we use the names of the musical modes to describe them,
and if they form no diatonic scale label them 'out of tune', rather than
using haphazard labels such as 'minor six', '1-5 of 8', etc, which in
reality can mean pretty much whatever you want them to! Labels such as
'lydian five', 'minor six' (meaning minor and only minor, unlike at present)
are far more precise. If people don't understand the musical modes half a
page at the front could explain them. I can really see no need to 'dumb it
down' to the extent that the descriptions become meaningless.

David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To
unsubscribe from the list send an email to
bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com