[Bell Historians] Heaviest bell normally rung without a box

Michael Wilby michael_wilby at y...
Wed Sep 4 00:31:43 BST 2002

DB:
> The Great Bell of TIng is, but that isn't in a ring. Aren't some/all of
the
> back bells at Manchester Town Hall rung from the floor because the ceiling
> is very low?

MH:
> I don't recall a reason being necessary! They are all rung from the floor,
> the tenor sometimes from a box.

Well you might not think the ceiling a bit low, but you are further away from it than the rest of us! ;-)

I keep hoping someone will invent a box that you can turn upside down and stand in to make the rope draught longer (excessively long ropes are a pet hate of mine)...