Chiming scales / earliest rings

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Fri Sep 6 22:37:01 BST 2002

David Cawley:
> St Lawrence Ipswich
> three of them by Basyers of Norwich (i.e.1424-1513)
> one by William Chamberlain of London c1440

Roy Tricker's 'Ipswich Churches Ancient and Modern' says of St
Lawrence 'The five bells are a complete pre-reformation ring. The
only other ring of five bells in England is at [St Barts, London].

One correspondent suggested the early scales to which bells would be
tuned were modes which did not correspond to our diatonic scale based
on C. I have heard that the earliest western scale, the Gam,
comprised the six notes do, re, mi, fa, so, la in Tonic Sol-Fa, with
the semitone always between mi and fa. This scale was supposedly
invented by Guido (990-1050) and was in use up to about 1500. A
reference on this which I have not personally checked is: Lloyd L. S.
and Boyle, H. Intervals, Scales, and Temperaments. New York: St.
Martin's Press, 1979.

Bill H