[Bell Historians] Re: Todays R.W front page tower

George Dawson George at d...
Fri Sep 27 13:15:18 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Jewitts entry:

WORMHILL.
THERE are six bells in this church, which is dedicated to St. Margaret.
Until 1863 there was only one bell here; in that year the old bell was
discarded, and a new peal of six cast by Taylor, of Loughborough, put
up. These six bells are the six largest of a peal of eight cast by
Taylor &. Son on speculation, with the intention of hanging them at
their foundry for the purpose of illustrating church bell-work. They
are believed to be, in point of size and weight, by far the smallest peal o=
f church bells in existence.
lst bell-J TAYLOR & CO., LOUGHBORO, 1863. In Roman capital letters in one l=
ine round the haunch.

2nd bell-J TAYLOR & CO LOUGHBORO 1863. In Roman capital letters in one line=
round the haunch.

3rd bell-J TAYLOR & CO LOUGHBORO 1863. In Roman capital letters in one line=
round the haunch.

4th bell-J TAYLOR & CO LOUGHBORO 1863. In Roman capital letters in one line=
round the haunch.

5th bell-J TAYLOR & CO LOUGHBORO 1863. In Roman capital letters in one line=
round the haunch.

6th bell-J TAYLOR & CO LOUGHBORO 1864. In Roman capital letters in one line=
round the haunch.

The whole peal was supplied with the date 1863, but the tenor
being found defective was returned to the makers, and recast by them
in 1864; hence the difference in dates on the bells.

This explains the tenor.

GAD
----- Original Message -----=20