Bell weights and notes

Richard Offen richard at s...
Sun Oct 3 22:34:38 BST 2004

To join the bell weights debate, in 1995 we had the bells at St
Michael with St Paul, Bath re-tuned and they are a considerable
improvement on what they were. We were supplied with a list of
weights by the main contractor and they were different to those
measured by Whitechapel:

> Treble: WBF 5-1-2 (Contractor 5-1-6)
> 2nd: 5-3-5 (5-3-6)
> 3rd: 6-0-24 (6-1-2)
> 4th: 6-2-24 (6-3-0)
> 5th: 7-1-6 (7-1-3)
> 6th: 8-2-2 (8-2-0)
> 7th: 11-0-20 (11-0-17)
> Tenor: 14-1-9 (14-2-0)
>
> What this shows is that we believe quoted weights to be accurate to
the nearest pound, however they are only as accurate as the scales
used and it seems that in at least one case accuracy to the nearest
pound is not being achieved!

> Dave

Were you able to discover which were the more accurate?