[Bell Historians] Stretch tuning

Andrew Higson andrew-higson at Lu3OyUA1K-Z8-I9zr8GSLfEdGe1lk8MJW7fgr1TcjigHixVki4daqeNA6kDyn5V8IYkTP5VPJFMMCH-DihGUvqrMIOOfu1uxOg.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 4 09:18:54 GMT 2007

I've put the nominals for Pierhead and Evesham in the table below along with Tewkesbury for good measure and also the degree of sharpening in cents. Having done a bit of delving into Paul's notes it is clear that the intention was a 25 cent stretch in the octave, which continued upwards the more bells there were. (Bill - did you see the last posting I made?). A further confusion is the fact that Pierhead trebles are longer waisted than the standard profile bell and consequently have a different tonal character to them.

Bell No.

Tewkesbury

Cents

Evesham

Cents

Pierhead

Cents

Treble

1782

37

1673

19

1601.5

34

2

1584

34

1484

12

1425

35

3

1493

31

1394

4

1341

26

4

1327

27

1243

6

1190.5

19

5

1179

23

1106.5

4

1058

16

6

1112

21

1044

3

999

17

7

989

18

931

5

890

17

8

878

12

829

4

791

13

9

781

9

738.5

3

702.5

7

10

735.5

5

697.5

4

664

10

11

654

2

622

5

588

0

Tenor

582

0

552

0

524

0

I agree with Richard's observation about this tuning schedule, more so on higher numbers. "Octave" pairs 25 cents apart dodging together just grate to my ear. However, the tower acoustics play a large part in how pronounced that effect is.

Paul did some peals that were ΒΌ of a semitone sharp over the octave (Stanbridge, Beds for example), but rapidly decided that this was too much. The first peal to be done 1/8th sharp was Bengeo.

Andrew Higson

Taylors Eayre and Smith Ltd

The Bellfoundry

Freehold Street