[Bell Historians] Jerusalem

Carl Scott Zimmerman csz_stl at pesardliaWMDHGYsc2-TMEbt_BwbmqyK1RJw27qjgOidVNXECNSZw3KpHG96kbrtvI80bUMjicKF.yahoo.invalid
Mon Apr 5 00:01:50 BST 2010

At 16:40 +0000 2010/04/03, Mike Chester wrote:
>I have been sent 6 files from the vicar that will be of quite some
>interest to historians. They are architects drawings and give the
>dimensions of the tubes in some detail, as well as that of the tower.
_____

If the Section C-C drawing is accurate, then it seems highly probable
that Harrington's leather return springs have perished with age.
Otherwise the hammers would all be leaning toward the center of the
frame rather than toward the tubular bells.

Walter Durfee adapted Harrington's hammer suspension design to avoid
such a problem, at least on all of the Durfee installations which I
have seen in this country.  The lower hammer suspension beam is a bit
more substantial; on the frame center side it carries slanted wooden
pegs as rests for each hammer, and on the bell side it carries hammer
return springs made of heavy wire.

Another Durfee adaptation is the addition of a 3/4-circle hoop of
extremely heavy wire (or carefully bent 1/4" rod) which connects the
two ends of each triangular action rocker and passes over the top of
upper hammer suspension beam.  This hoop serves two purposes:  (1) it
acts as a safety device in case the rocker suspension breaks, and (2)
it carries a spherical lead weight, held in place by a setscrew,
which can be moved along the hoop as an adjustable counterweight.

Based on photos that Alan Ellis sent me a couple of years ago, the
above distinction would indicate that the Surrey BC tubular chime
came from Harrington rather than from Durfee.  But I would be very
interested to know whether any of these modifications show up in any
of Harrington's later chimes.  If so, that would indicate a reverse
transmission of technology!

Carl

P.S.  The Harrington advertisement which David Cawley posted later
the same day shows a single-row arrangement for suspending the tubes.
Has anyone seen such an arrangement in actual use? or was it perhaps
artistic license?