Replica frames

Peter Trent peter.trent at pyw0bS2oVbg7o54HffmalQxLEaeOykI-UlA_VTI1mP1FMqgsMM80qUuzbVzpzP0_DPw3uR5ujI5w71J_BMB9wscG.yahoo.invalid
Tue Nov 9 08:30:31 GMT 2010

Whilst there is a conservation topic under discussion, I wondered if anywhere there had been attempts to faithfully reproduce a replica medieval belframe using traditional timberframing techniques to allow ancient bells to be preserved in use ringing as had been originally intended.
In the world of historic musical instrument making, the days of "we know best now" has long since gone and when you purchase, for example a lute or viola da gamba you should expect a very specific copy of an original instrument.
In a parish with three 14th century bells in a tower with no change ringers  but an imense pride in their heritage and the desire to have them sound again, is a replica installation such a ridiculous option or even ridiculously expensive one?

PJT