[Bell Historians] Lichfield bells and Elias Ashmole

Jim jameshedgcock at NoeS8OKIsY7vzmESjTOdUdiZWn0jJyXBZHtMShIfYQ_WgDWfGOlG95PqCWsQvv4HinEDZMMauiz2Ut85MR1cpgl5.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jul 11 13:59:14 BST 2012

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "John H Allen" <john at ...> wrote:

> Jim,
>

> I have never heard the suggestion that they were 'cast heavy' to allow for a
> 12. The late Paul Taylor was a regular visitor on a Sunday afternoon. He
> always said that they were 'the best peal of 10 that Taylors had ever cast'
> and he drove from Loughborough to enjoy them time and time again.  There
> appears to have been no shortage of money in 1947 and perhaps Taylors wanted
> them as a show piece.
>

> Unfortunately the Chapter minutes of the time contain only skeleton
> references to the recasting of the bells. However in a recent clear out of
> an old filing room at the Cathedral a bundle of correspondence has been
> discovered which appears to include letters about the 1947 recasting. When
> time permits this will be examined in detail and might throw more light on
> the matter.
>

> John

It was probably a 'wind up' but I did give it a little credence because it was a Freemason who told me!
Leicester Cathedral tenor has the Arms of the Freemasons on it with a dedication that it was the gift of the Freemasons but I don't know if that applies to the bell or the ring.