Big Ben (was Olympic Bell recycling)

John David johnedavid at R4UsZTdHL-0vDb7x151kzO5Iu3c-Rt-atsFSQTc_V-KgCmn0CLpS8I_V46gJtWu121ZU-dT2p84Nzj4k.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jul 28 19:45:04 BST 2012

Richard Offen says that Big Ben was the largest that could be got up the tower. I read somewhere (many years ago) a story that the reason the original Warner's bell was broken was that it had come out too big. I had hoped to have read confirmation (or otherwise) of this in the most recent book (Big Ben: The Bell, the Clock and the Tower, Peter Macdonald), but it does not get a mention. Does anyone have a definite answer, supported by accurate measurements?
John David
Guernsey