[Bell Historians] Listing rings etc cast since 1890

Ken Webb ken44webb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 11:49:40 GMT 2021

On 31/01/2021 08:07, Andrew Aspland via Bell-historians wrote:

> And I very much agree with Chris!! "They’re all the same opinion.
> Never knew such unanimity on a point of law in my life!"
>
> We have some very "valuable" peals of bells out there - as in valued
> by ringers - very many of which are not listed and many of which would
> be a tragic loss to our art, and to the soundscape of Britain,  if
> they were to be less valued by the decision makers.
>
> Listing may well help raise the awareness of the importance of
> harmonic peals of bells.  It is probably not down to the listing of
> individual bells but to the sets of harmonic bells - the "complete"
> peals. However, the listing process, as it stands, identifies bells of
> "historic significance" only.  The single criterion for bells cast
> after 1851 (that amazingly significant date in history - don't get me
> started on arbitrary dates used in history) is "Significant examples
> of technical innovation."   Thus, Norton, Sheffield are listed as the
> first harmonic peal of bells to leave the Loughborough foundry.  No
> similar examples are listed for the work of G&J or WBF.
>
> Perhaps the ChurchCare listing system is not the right tool for this
> job.  Is there a case for formalising some sort of Preservation
> Society?  And to get such a society recognised by Historic England,
> Church of England etc.
>
> Specifically regarding the works of Gillett & Johnston (since an
> example that foundry's work began this thread) I would have thought
> there was a strong case for a society dedicated to their bells.  It is
> 65 or so years since the last G&J peal of bells was cast and yet their
> window of casting harmonic bells lasted for fewer than 50 years.
>  They produced many distinctive and beautiful peals of bells as well
> as very many chimes and carillons which rank among the best.  Of their
> 1683 bells hung for ringing only the six bells at Preschute are listed
> (and they don't fit any listing criteria).
>
> Anyone out there have a passion for such things?
>
> Attached is something to get us started.

The Code for bells etc covering listing implies that for bells cast in
the last 300 years only the rare / exceptional  etc. should be listed.
So no expectation that all good rings are Listed. (Does the same
approach apply to Organs & Clocks?)

Andrew lists 1,683 G&J bells including whole rings (& back 8's etc.).

A search of Dove re England for  1896 - 2000 & any Founder with a John
Taylor prefix, about 7,875 bells are displayed including rings (& clock
bells at York etc.).

I assume most interested ringers etc. would not want to see any of those
melted down for scrap?

I assume those who are most experienced would prefer to keep all of
these bells rather than, broadly, any Whitechapel bells from 1800 - 1900?

Should the Listing have a Grade code (like Buildings?). I assume all
Taylor bells from 1896 to 2000 are not of equally worth keeping? So some
may be Grade 1 & others Grade 5? Who will judge? Who will decide & List?

Should the Listing have a Reason code (say R for Ring, L for Large, A or
M for Appearance/Moulding)?

If 100 good rings become available soon & need to be moved where will
they go?

In terms of transfers, I suggest those rings cast since about 1900 will
usually be in a good frame with modern fittings & ideally the whole lot
should be moved (if they can't be retained in use in the existing
building) to minimise costs - just need some new foundation girders & a
suitable tower!

Should the bell installation including the frame & fittings have a
Listing (by Grade & with a Reason) - even if it dates from broadly 1900
to 2000?

Following this idea would stop nearly all new bell casting, most tuning
& most rehanging of existing rings.

Ken